Immediate past president of the Students’ Union Government, University of Benin, Comrade Foster Amadin on Saturday 18th February formally handed over power to his successor, Nmoye Israel, alias Cyano.
CAMPUS GIST reports that the hand over ceremony took place during the swearing in of the newly elected executive members of the SUG held at the UNIBEN Ugbowo campus.
At the ceremony were principal officers, Dean of Students, members of the Students’ Electoral Commission, outgoing and immediate past student leaders, members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) and others, in attendance.
In his handover speech, Comrade Amadin said his administration achieved a lot, giving great priority to the protection of the interest of students, despite challenges including the eight-month old ASUU strike.
He listed interventions by his administration to include the students relaxation centre at Ekehuan campus, free tuition fee plus accommodation for indigent students, renovation of hostels, purchase of vehicle for students use, among others.
The president of the federal republic of Nigeria
President Muhammadu Buhari,GCFR
The Governor of Edo state,
Governor Godwin Enogheghase Obaseki.
Prof. James Ayatse, the Tor Tiv
The Vice Chancellor
Prof Lillian imuetinyan salami
The Deputy vice chancellors,
The Dean of students
Prof Clement Ighodaro,
Lords, Electoral commissions, NANS, distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen.
HANDOVER SPEECH BY THE OUT-GOING PRESIDENT, STUDENT UNION GOVERNMENT, UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, OSAZEMEN FOSTER AMADIN.
Hmmmm, indeed it has been an incredible journey, Today I come before you with a lot of emotions even though usually foster is not a very emotional person, This is the last time I will be making such address as the SUG president of this prestigious university of Benin, I won’t fail to say that I have a lot of memories of this institution which shall remain with me forever, I really want to appreciate all students of the University of Benin for continuous support even during my trying and difficulty times as the president of the Union. For those who supported me from my very first day in office till today, those that gave up on me along the way, those that didn’t believe in me at all, those that criticized me constructively and unconstructively and those that sent their words of encouragement, I celebrate you all and I pray God blesses you all. You have in one way or the other made me better than I was when I started this leadership race and I am grateful for that.
Nicholo Machiavelli is reputed to have said that there is nothing as difficult as being a leader, making and enforcing new rules. In other words, uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Before my assumption into office, I could not appreciate this witty postulation beyond the peripherals of the pages in text books. But, as the SUG President, I am now a witness to its verity with first hand knowledge and experience.
Please permit me, May I register my unalloyed gratitude to my fellow UNIBEN Students who reposed their trust and confidence in me and considered me worthy to be at the helms of their affairs, with a landslide victory votes of over 1700 as against the 1st runner up.
Without equivocation, my administration gave in it’s best, in spite of the interjection of ASUU strike in our academic calendar, which distorted some of my plans and programmes for my fellow UNIBEN Students. Or to mention some principalities, powers and rulers in high places, which includes, certain stakeholders, Concerned students, Cause trouble commitee (CTC), External influence, pressure groups amongst other, is no gainsaying the fact that This administration ushered in a new dawn in the Students’ Union of University of Benin. Little wonder, we gloried under the toga of the ‘New Dawn Excos.’
In continuation, I must however mention that in spite of our challenges and interest differences in office, we still ensured that the interest of the entire university of Benin students were prioritized over personal profits and as such, our voice as a union wasn’t lost because we stood our grounds and ensured that University of Benin students are prioritized.would be Mentioning some of the giant strides of This administration thus:
1. Upon assumption of office, with the support of the School Management, we bought our Union’s vehicle (Sienna) to ease movements and to aid our rapid response to the needs of UNIBEN Students, through which members of The union also learnt and built their driving skills.
2. Secondly, under my leadership and in fulfilment of my campaign promises to Ekehuan Campus, with the help of the Vice Chancellor, I attracted the construction and commissioning of a modern Recreational Centre (Relaxation Spot) at Ekehuan Campus. As far as I know, this is the first of its kind in the history of University of Benin. Thanks, to University of Benin Alumi Association North America, UBANA.
3. In the light of the fact that my administration shares in the inspiration and commitment of our Vice Chancellor, Prof Mrs Lillian Imuetiyan Salami, to make UNIBEN the Educational hub in Africa, my administration organized an Inter-Faculty Debate where the winners were given Laptops and the payment of their tuition fees with other consolation prices, This was to encourage learning and scholarship among my fellow UNIBEN Students.
4. This administration also unfurled the Purple and Gold color in the comity of Universities in Nigeria during the 2022 National Debate in Sheraton Hotel, Abuja, where we came out top in the South South Region and 2nd Runner Up in the Nation.
5. This administration has fostered an unprecedented synergistic symbiosis among the tripartite (Executive, Legislative and Judicial) organs of our Union as well a formidable relationship between the students and the management.
6. The foster Amadin led administration, by way of man-power development, produced 2 Executive members in the Joint Campus Council (JCC) Edo State Axis, and 2 National representatives in the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), all from UNIBEN.
7. This administration have been able to render assistance to many deserving UNIBEN Students, ranging from the provision of accommodation, feeding and intervention for our Students unlawfully ejected from their hostels by their landlords. As well seeing to the positive end students related matters, such includes a case of Juliana Martin who was shot at NPDC and has been given compensation for her treatment, or the case of the ISD students who the vice chancellor in her motherly intervention after my appeal reinstated them to write their examination as they were in their final year.
8. Our commitment to the welfare of UNIBEN Students drove me into setting up special Rapid Response Committee to attend to Students with special needs, which in turn encouraged students to speak out and get help.
9. The University of Benin today ranks top among Nigerian Universities as an Institution with respected, purposeful, intelligent, genuine and outspoken Students Activists. Little wonder, the popular EndASUU Strike Crusade started in UNIBEN,we lead while others follow.
10. The foster Amadin led administration organized the first Independence Carnival in University of Benin to mark Nigeria@61. The event took place in both Ekehuan and Ugbowo Campuses with lots of fanfare.
11. As a fulfilment of my campaign promises to UNIBEN Students, my administration facilitated the renovation of School Hostels.
12. The administration also facilitated the free Bail out of several UNIBEN Students who were in detention (Police custody) without probable or reasonable cause.
13. In spite of the pervasive economic stagnation and unabated inflation in the price of goods and services in the Country, my administration ensured the stabilization and control of prices of goods and services within the school e.g uniben sachet water.
14. The administration was committed to the rule of law and the belief in judicial settlement of disputes, instead of patronizing unconventional means. This underscored my appointment of the Chief Justice of the SUG Supreme Court following the recommendation made by LAWSA in accordance with the provisions of the SUG Constitution.
15. Finally, due to high level of financial prudence and adequate management the Foster Amadin led administration left a reasonable amount of funds in the Union’s account far from what we met when I came on board.
These achievements couldn’t have been possible without the efforts and input of the executive council, parliament and Judiciary, supports of some concerned parents, Comrades and good spirited personalities which space will not permit me to mention here, you thought me how to take direction, criticism, and compliments. I have also learned to be open-minded, to value other people’s opinions and to consider other ideas along with mine, to end up with a great final result. These are things I wasn’t so great at taking before, and now I feel as though I can apply that in many different situations.Again I say Thank you.
Fellow UNIBEN Students, some of the above achievements are no doubt, salutary of my administration as the SUG President of the prestigious University of Benin,in a Beed of doing my best and carrying out my functions I sincerely want to seize this time to apologize to anyone who might have felt offended in one way or the other during my office tenure, I hope you know am not perfect and I am open to learning.
Boldly, I want to specially and specifically thank our mother, I call her iye, nogie, iye nomose, The Vice Chancellor, Prof Mrs Lillian Imuetiyan Salami for giving me and my Excos all the support we needed to serve UNIBEN Students.
– Show me a proactive vice chancellor I would show you a working SUG, she made our work easy as she is concerned even before we complain,My appreciation is due other Staff and students of the University of Benin , narrowed down to my faculty Social sciences and my departmental lectures(public Administration department) who in one way or another contributed to the huge success recorded by my administration. And of course,Over and over my gratitude goes to the entirety of UNIBEN Students (77 thousand and one a statutory figure no less no more ) for their love and solidarity before and during my tenure as President. No doubt, we would indeed miss a home to Nobel laureates, technocrats, Comrades and talents; we would miss a place where erudite professors debate, superstars perform, researchers break through with astounding discoveries, wake and see VCs proactiveness and infrastructural and aesthetic development,i will sincerely miss the privileges and opportunities accrued to being the SUG President, but I take with me fond memories, valuable skills and experience, and I hope to one day leave an impression on others similar to the one you have left on me.I love you all.
Lastly: The Vice-Chancellor ma, distinguish ladies and gentlemen; My wish for the management team ably led by my Vice chancellor, Uniben students and everyone here is that you all continue to experience success, to feel fulfilled in all you do, and to have nothing but pleasant results with each completed project,come what may, While that may be an overly optimistic wish, it is sincere,again a warm congratulations on your election victory leora Excos led by my successor, Nmoye Israel,I wish for you great success as you prepare and start to take up the responsibilities and challenges of your high office.
As you all embark upon your new responsibilities, I am rest assured of students almost maximum cooperation, and the sympathetic interest of the management towards students affairs. Please with every level employ diplomacy,applying the 3 ALUTA C, consult, consolidate, if possible consult again before confrontation,as not just a unionis or activist but as a stakeholder of this institution.
God bless Mighty UNIBEN.
God bless you
God bless me
…………………………………. Comrade Amadin Foster Osazee (SUG President 2021/22 Session).
Arise mighty Uniben.